Almie Rose

By Vnxone
It was at least two months before Christmas when nine-year-old Almie Rose told her father and me that she wanted a new bicycle. As Christmas drew nearer, her desire for a bicycle seemed to fade, or so we thought. We purchased the latest rage, Baby-Sitter's Club dolls, and a doll house. Then, much to our surprise, on December 23rd, she said that she "really wanted a bike more than anything else."It was just too late, what with all the details of preparing Christmas dinner and buying last-minute gifts, to take the time to select the "right bike" for our little girl. So, here we were - Christmas Eve around 9:00 p.m., with Almie Rose and her six-year-old brother, Dylan, nestled snug in their beds. We could now think only of the bicycle, the guilt, and being parents who would disappoint their child."What if I make a little bicycle out of clay and write a note that she could trade the clay model in for a real bike?" my husband asked.The theory being that since this is a high-ticket item and she is "such a big girl," it would be much better for her to pick it out. So he spent the next four hours painstakingly working with clay to create a miniature bike.On Christmas morning, we were excited for Almie Rose to open the little heart-shaped package with the beautiful red and white clay bike and the note. Finally, she opened it and read the note aloud."Does this mean that I trade in this bike that Daddy made me for a real one?"Yes." I said, beaming.Almie Rose had tears in her eyes when she replied,"I could never trade in this beautiful bicycle that Daddy made me. I'd rather keep this than get a real bike."At that moment, we would have moved heaven and earth to buy her every bicycle on the planet!- Michelle Lawrence
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?